One thing was clear since the very beginning: May had an awesome product, and a very attractive value proposition, which generated immediately good results from the paid ads side.
The main issue was profit margin: being Tirtyl a completely bootstrapped company, they are very cashflow-sensitive.
Having a Break-Even ROAS of 1.9 means that in order to keep cash in the bank, we should have achieved at least 2.3 ROAS from ads while scaling up the volumes.
The time we got in the account for the first time, we saw that May was already achieving 2.8x ROAS, but every time he tried to scale up the ad spend, this dropped significantly.
We knew the situation was pretty delicate, and we had positive and negative sides of this.
On the positive side we had:
- An awesome product with a very clear UVP
- A lot of flexibility in terms of content creation/creative direction
- Founders who are thinking very long-term, and who are willing to invest time and money in their mission.
The negative sides was that:
- We would not have stocks available until late June, and a pre-sale campaign is normally not that great in terms of ROAS and Conversion rate (compared with an actual sale)
- We had pretty tight margins for scaling, as we should have not go below 2.3x ROAS.
- Our Ad budget was mostly dependant on the results we would have achieved.
As soon as the ball started running, we immediately intervened by removing all the elements in the FB ad accounts we saw not generating any consistent results in the past few weeks, as well as we prepared a campaign structure made to scale up, focusing on the low-hanging fruits first, while at the same time running rapid A/B tests to find the right assets to scale.
Our creative team had several brainstorming sessions with May, in order to find the best approach to promote the brand in a way that would be consistent over time, but also appealing to a broad audience and likely to convert on social media ads.
We ended up developing a long-form video to be used on Top-Funnel audiences on FB/IG, in order to attract new potential users.
The other issue was from the supply side. They finished all stocks in January, and the next round of stocks would have arrived in late June 2021, which meant that for the whole Q1 and Q2 we must have run a Pre-Sale campaign, without having stocks.